Sunday, January 3, 2010

Smiling

As our weekend comes to a close, I can't help but smile. All those years ago, daddy frowned at the thought that I could be in love with James. I think he would have had a hard time regardless of who I brought home. Because he was daddy. And I was his little fille.

But I know daddy. He wanted me to marry a son of one of the elite families. Perhaps he would be a lawyer, a banker, or own his own business. Daddy always had these big dreams for us girls. But I couldn't help that my love was a cowboy through and through.

Today, my parents came to enjoy dinner with us. James and daddy talked for hours and hours. About everything. The weather, work, politics, the girls, and the future. Mom and I could hear them laughing. And every once in a while, the girls would come into the kitchen asking for something for our favorite guys.

Before my parents left, daddy came to give me a big hug. And he told me he had been wrong about James all those years ago. I just smiled. Because I knew one day daddy would know why I love James so much. He's the kind of man that I know daddy wanted me to find. James loves me, respects me, and protects me. He is the best daddy I could ever dream up for my girls.

But today my daddy realized that. Realized that I might not live in a mansion. But I love my life. My husband always has our family's interests first. And if he had to, he would lay his own life out there for us. But daddy's tight hug and verbal approval meant the world to me. Because he is finally able to just enjoy our time together. Without worrying how we make it. Instead enjoying the company of his granddaughters.

Today was a good day. A day filled with love and new found friendships and respect. Life may not always be easy. But if you believe in the Lord, it will all work out. It may take a while, but it will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment